August 08, 2010

All Hail Ben & Jerry...Demi-gods of Ice Cream

There is no way I could possibly write a blog about delicious foods without including one of my all time favorites...Ice Cream.  When it comes to ice cream there is but one (okay so technically they are two) undisputed confectionery genius...the Vermont based Ben & Jerry's Homemade, Inc.  Perhaps one day I will be lucky enough to make a pilgrimage to their home town of South Burlington, Vermont...but sadly friends this is a goal I have yet to attain.

Staying true to form, this indulgence is decidedly not heart healthy.  Before you ask, yes I know that a pint of this sinfully sweet ice cream contains over 1000 calories...yes I know it has my total daily allowance of fat in the same serving size...and I know it is extremely high in cholesterol.  But come on people, you don't go to the Sistine Chapel and nit-pick Mike's work on the ceiling...no, you bask in the glory of unparalleled beauty.  The same is true when you choose to indulge in one of Ben & Jerry's amazing concoctions. 

Besides being genius's at creating overwhelmingly incredible ice cream flavors, I think Mr. Ben and Mr. Jerry are using some secret tricks behind the scenes.  It is my theory, though I have not been able to confirm this, that they actually distill some illicit and highly addictive narcotic and infuse it with their ice cream...at least this is what I tell myself because it gives me some solace when my will collapses and I happily spoon a quart into my waiting maw.  Seriously people, if the US Government in their infinite wisdom were to outlaw Ben & Jerry's, I would likely find myself incarcerated or turning tricks to get my next fix...that stuff is like frozen crack cocaine!!

I think it possible that I could write a whole blog on their unique and unilaterally delicious flavors, but in this case I want to talk about my newly found favorite.  With their latest triumph the boys in Vermont have shown that somewhere deep down there is a good ole' southern boy in all of us.  The Peanut Brittle flavor is simply, undeniably the crowning glory in their product line.  As with all their ice creams, the rich smoothness envelopes your tongue in velvety sweetness.  Then, to take it up a notch, they add a silky, salty and oh so buttery caramel.  Now, being the perfectionists that they are, they couldn't stop there...so yes my friends they added pieces of actual peanut brittle. The brilliance of adding the chewy, nutty perfection of the peanut brittle to this ice cream can not be overstated.

I am about ready to don my sandals and begin my 18 day walking trek to the door steps of my heroes, but sadly I must refrain for the time being.  This aside friends if you are a lover of ice cream like I am and can not resist a good peanut brittle...RUN, do not walk to your nearest purveyor of Ben & Jerry's fine products and grab as many of these as they have in stock!!  You will not be disappointed, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment