August 14, 2010

Shameless Recipe: Jalapeno - Cheddar Brioche Grilled Cheese

I used to love grilled cheese as a kid...as many of us did.  However, as my taste progressed I lost my sense of pleasure in a simple grilled cheese.  I have kids though and they still crave a good grilled cheese, so I had to find a way to make a sandwich that would elevate a simple grilled cheese to something worthy of being served in a restaurant and truly shameless.

I love brioche...of course with so much butter in it, how could I not.  On a recent visit to my favorite bakery in Little Rock, the Boulevard Bread Company on Kavanaugh, I found a loaf of jalapeno - cheddar brioche.  The cheese in the bread gave me the idea of using this for a grilled cheese sandwich.  Nothing fancy in this recipe, but this sandwich turned out incredibly well.  The spicy jalapeno and dense brioche with cheddar cheese, butter, and a touch of mayo was amazing.

You could make this with numerous types of brioche and it would be delicious.  I know they have a sundried tomato brioche that would give a sense of grilled cheese and tomato soup....enjoy.

(2) Slices of Jalapeno - Cheddar Brioche Bread
(2) Slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese - Though next time I may try a buttery Taleggio instead
Softened butter for the bread
(1) tbsp of real mayo

Butter the slices of bread.  Place one slice down and add mayo and slices of cheddar, and then top with the other slice.  I would strongly recommend using a panini press.  If you don't have one, you can purchase a grill press for only a few dollars.

I know this is a ridiculously simple recipe, but I figured I would keep it simple for a first go.  However, simple is not always bad.  I assure you this is worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment