August 19, 2010

Shameless Review: Sushi Cafe - East Meets West....GET IN MY BELLY!!

Sushi Cafe on UrbanspoonSushi Cafe - East Meets West



Generally speaking, sushi is not as unwholesome as my typical fare, but I do love a well prepared roll.  Sushi Cafe does this in spades.  While it is not a traditional sushi establishment...I mean they have Kobe hot dogs for crying out loud...it is just the kind of great food with a unique, interesting environment that I simply can't pass up.

Okay, a truly critical person would point out that I usually eat western style rolls and not more traditional styles, but so what.  Good is good regardless of style.  So, with that in mind, if you are looking for a great meal with interesting style, you should really check out Sushi Cafe.

Normally, I would probably have given this restaurant a slightly lower score due to the limited seating, but I was happy to find out that they are in the process of doubling the size of their establishment.  This pretty much puts aside any negative things I could say about the cafe.  So happily, I give my first five knife rating.

                                                                                 FOOD:
I mentioned that the food is a bit...non-traditional, but that is one of the intriguing things about this restaurant.  While I understand the Kobe hot dogs and burgers are excellent, when I go to the cafe, I am there for one thing....sushi.  More specifically I go there for the Super Cafe Roll.  It is probably the second best piece of sushi I have ever had, and for the middle of Arkansas...that is saying something.  The combination of the delicate fish topped with a tangy mayo and spicy siracha sauce is great.  Throw in the firm texture of the rice contrasting the crunchiness of the panko topping....okay I am gushing....but its pretty dang good.

Beyond that, the beef tataki is really great as well.  It is pepper crusted and lightly seared.  Served with a rich ponzu sauce, it is another must try on the menu.

ATMOSPHERE: As you can see from the picture, Sushi Cafe does not take itself to seriously.  Which is good since the vibe is more modern and trendy.  Before today, I would have said that the dining area and bar were undersized for the amount of business they do, but apparently the owners are savvy enough to realize that as well.  They have procured the adjoining space and are in the process of doubling the size of their dining room and adding a pattio area.  Hopefully this will eliminate the occasionally tedious wait that I have experienced there in the past.

SERVICE:
The service here is normally attentiave and pleasant.  This trip was no exception.  Even though they were extremely busy today, our service was as typical...good.

VALUE:
It is perfectly in line with other sushi establishments in the area.  If you love sushi, you will find this a good value for your money.

Sushi Cafe  is located at:
5823 Kavanaugh Blvd
Litlle Rock, AR

No comments:

Post a Comment